Does that look good to anyone? KFC recently decided this was going to be released as a new item on their menu. I bet it smells good, but beyond that, it makes me feel really sick at the thought of eating it.A few months ago I saw a great episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats. The show is usually good, informative and fairly funny. This particular show was about how he lost all those added pounds he was showing. Not your last 10 or 20lbs or some get trim for summer, but a change your life style of food. Everything he talked about made sense. He gives the example how usually people eat and eat and eat. But you would do that with your car. If you took your car in for a fill up everyday, you would need a place to store all the extra fuel. The same is true for food and your body.
Watch the clip, he explains it better than I can.
The short and sweet version, we all should be eating nutrient dense foods, instead of just energy dense foods.
When Cory saw the episode a few weeks ago, it really "spoke" to him. He decided he was going to change his ratio of nutrient rich foods and hopefully lose a little weight in the process. The four lists that now run things for his food consumption are:
Eat Daily
- Fruits
- Whole Grains
- Leafy Greens
- Nuts
- Carrots
- Green Tea
3 times a week
- Oily Fish
- Yogurt
- Broccoli
- Sweet Potato
- Avocado
He can have once a week
- Red meat
- Pasta
- Dessert
- Alcohol (if he did, he would be allowed once a week)
NEVER!
- Fast Food
- Soda
- Processed meals/frozen dinners
- Canned soup
- “Diet” anything
AND: Eat breakfast every day, no exceptions.
That's all fine and dandy for Cory, but what about me. WHAT AM I GOING TO EAT?! As most people know, I have the worst eating habits. No big deal because I am not 20 over weight or have high cholesterol, right? I could easily eat anything I want and there is no looming problem with that. The problem is that I don't really feel that way. For me it's not about what won't happen in spite of what I eat, but rather how much better I feel when I eat better. For me food doesn't really hold much joy for me. You see, for the most part it is just life sustaining. Unless it was really really good and I am talking about how much I LOVED it, it will always be "just ok." That's why I crave sushi, why I could skip a meal and really not miss it, why when I am pregnant I have to make myself eat, which usually makes me literally gag. I love thanksgiving because it is all my favorite foods on one day. Like I said, I have a problem with food.
Well, it has been a couple of weeks and it is going pretty well with the Alton Brown change. Cory is better with it than I am, of course, but dinner is always something tasty and healthy.
Cheers to change and better eating!


No comments:
Post a Comment