Friday, July 1, 2011

Darlin don't you ever grow up... Day 1 of potty training


I am not sure if it is the crazy day I am just finishing or the fact that I just realized my baby is a big boy, but my tears are streaming tonight. They are growing up too fast, much too fast. Everyday I look at Winter and think my goodness, when did she get so grown up... (hysterical moment of crying, shut up Taylor Swift you aren't helping.) Ok, I'm better now.

The principles that make the 3 day program work are:
  • Love
  • Consistency
  • Dedication
  • Positive Reinforcement
  • Patience
  • Focus
I can say that if I had been doing all of these all day today I could have saved myself from at least two accidents.

This is how our day went:
  • Accident
  • Accident
  • Accident
  • Accident
  • Right after an accident I thought I'd have at least 5 minutes to check my email, WRONG! Accident totally my fault
  • Accident
  • SUCCESS!! Ledger began to have an accident and realized he was peeing and told me. We rushed to the toilet where he finished on the toilet. We celebrated with LOTS of praise and a reward of bubble playtime outside. It was all new bubble toys from the dollar store.
  • Accident
  • Accident because I was folding laundry and he was playing with the fan on the other side of the room. Again my fault because he is supposed to be right beside me.
  • SUCCESS!! He told me he had to 'pee potty mommy' and we rushed to the toilet. He was completely dry. Then he completed a full successful visit to the potty! YAY!! We celebrated with LOTS of praise, a new toy car from the dollar store, and M&Ms.
  • Accident because he went upstairs and I was 15 seconds behind him. I knew I was supposed to stay close and still let him get away. He walked into his room and ran back out saying 'pee pee potty.' DANG IT! It was too late thought, I missed my chance to get him to the potty.
  • SUCCESS!! He told me he had to 'pee potty mommy' and we rushed to the toilet. He was completely dry. Then he completed a full successful visit to the potty!
Depending on how you measure things, I think we had a great day. It is exhausting, and I am not going to lie, I was frustrated at times. I wasn't upset about the accidents, I was bonkers when he would tell me 'pee potty' and then we would go and he wouldn't do anything. He just wanted to flush the toilet...this happened at least a dozen times. It has also proven to be very hard on my body and especially my back to lug a 35lb child around. Running with one to the bathroom as pee goes down his leg is not very fun either. I did lose my patience once. After the 4th accident (and clean up) he spilled his juice box all over the kitchen floor. I just knew there were so many more accidents in our future it seemed unfair that I would have to clean up juice box accidents too. It has been a positive and tiring experience. Totally worth it to see my little guy in tighty whities.

I am thankful for hard wood floors, it being summer time, and vinegar which both sanitizes and deodorizes. We aren't done yet, but for today's small accomplishments, I am happy. Bring on the night without diapers!!

No comments: