Besides the $1,056.97 of my property taxes that went to the Davis School District here is what I have paid in addition...
$10 to join the PTO (Parent Teacher Organization)
$15 for the giving tree supplies (I was duped into buying additional supplies for the class because 'without the help of the parents, Kindergarten just doesn't happen') of foam hand soap, paper plates, and Clorox wipes
$20 PTO Fall Festival
$25 Entertaining Book Fund Raiser (and being asked to annoy all our family, friends, and neighbors to also purchase one,) so any of you that wants one, we are selling them until Sept. 28th
$35 Extra Snacks (extra being the key word because I already gave
snacks for the whole class as a part of her "school supplies") for the
whole class because they don't get one unless it's donated
That's a total of $105. IT'S ONLY SEPTEMBER 16th!! Today Winter's teacher sent out an email requesting donations for their fall field trip to the pumpkin patch. They need money so that everyone can get a pumpkin and rent a bus to transport them there and back. SERIOUSLY?! School is only 2.5 hours long each day so I am sure this is going to take up the whole class time. AND what parent doesn't already have plans to go get pumpkins? Why not just ask all the parents to bring their child to the pumpkin patch for school that day and buy a pumpkin? Seems like it would be easier to me and way more worth my money.
ALSO, I was asked to volunteer for at least one job to help Winter's class. I volunteered for two! I have a little bit of time during the day so I figured since 'without the help of the parents, Kindergarten just doesn't happen' I should give it to my daughter's class. I am fine giving some of my time to help her and her class. There are 65 volunteer positions Winter's teacher is asking to be filled to help her class.
65! Wow, I am beginning to think Kindergarten isn't going to happen.
Winter's homework is a skill set book that she knows how to do everything in already. Letter, their sounds, numbers, her phone number, shapes, colors, etc. etc. I am supposed to help her with these things...teach them to her if she doesn't already know them. Then a volunteer checks them off in class. So what is the teacher doing? I got a lovely nursery rhymes book from the past three weeks of school. It had 5 songs in it and a 2x2 inch colored image at the bottom of each page. All that in only three weeks. Ahhh!!
Starting to wonder if I will always be this neurotic about her schooling or if I should just find something else to sacrifice in life so she can go to a private school.
I am glad Winter likes Kindergartern because I HATE IT!
How much are you willing to pay for public schooling? Is it worth it?





No comments:
Post a Comment